Office consults are available seven days a week in New Paltz, NY
Here's what an office consult is like: I have comfortable chairs, pillows and a foot stool, where you learn to lean back, relax and let your baby nurse effectively. I encourage partners and/or other supportive family to come along if they can. It's a nourishing, nurturing hour and a half with information and coaching that is appropriate to you and your baby's needs and learning style.
We will talk about what is going on, what has happened and why breastfeeding isn't going well and most importantly, what your goals are. Then, we work together to resolve problems and answer all your and your partner's questions. At the end of the visit, you will feel more confident and comfortable and you will have a written breastfeeding-friendly feeding care plan.
Office visits are also for short consultations, breast pump coaching, weight checks and follow-ups. My office is a toddler-friendly room with toys and books for older nurslings and siblings.
You will receive:
- An appointment as early as today or tomorrow. Babies are born every day. They need to eat and I keep my schedule loose just for you.
- One-on-one observation, with you and your baby breastfeeding and interacting to understand what is really going on. I will help you and if you need some other kind of help, give you recommendations for professionals who can help you.
- Frequent and timely follow up by phone until breastfeeding is working right for you and your baby. I answer my own phone and you can call me 24/7, if you need to. No pressing 1 for this or 2 for that and no waiting on hold. If it's not a convenient time for me, I will schedule a call back.
- Compassionate counseling so you, your partner and your baby feel better mentally and emotionally as individuals and as partners in this special relationship.
Why an office consult?
- My office is a warm comfortable room: "It feels good in here." is what everyone says.
- Equipment: I have a lot of gear at my office! Hospital grade pumps, flanges, hot packs, cold packs, baby scale, slings, wraps, a bed, recliners, books, salves, teas and more.
- If you live too far away: I like to think I would travel to the ends of the earth to help someone, but an hour and 15 minutes is my limit.
- Cost and time: An office consult is about 2/3 the cost of a home consult and you may only need a short appointment.
How much does it cost?
An initial office consult is $150. and is about 90 minutes. One consult gets most people back on track and successfully breastfeeding, though some people need a series of on-going consults. It includes: weight pre and post feed, oral exam, medical history, observe breastfeeding and coach with positioning. It includes a care plan with recommended feeding frequency, what to look for in the next few days, how to know baby is getting enough and how to stimulate milk production and optimal feeds. Follow up weight checks at my office and 3 phone/texts are included.
Shorter appointments are available for $30 for 15 minute blocks. These short consults are for followup and or quick questions for older babies on topics such as plugged ducts, making more milk when pumping and biting.
Payment is due at the visit by cash, check, credit card or PayPal. I will give you a superbill that you can submit to insurance. Coverage varies widely by company. Some people use their HSA debit card. If you need a payment plan, I offer one.
Not sure you can afford a consultation?
While a Lactation consultation is a lot of money up front, consults with me are incredibly effective. Most people have one visit and follow up with group support. Feeding your baby has direct and indirect costs. Formula to feed your baby costs a minimum of $25 a week. Even if you get formula for free with WIC or SNAP, you have your disappointment to work though and the probable health risks and costs of a formula fed baby.
How can I pay for this?
- Most insurance companies will reimburse you for lactation help.
- Move around your household payments.
- Ask your relatives or close friends for a loan or gift money towards lactation help.
- I offer a "Less Than Formula" payment plan, so you get the help you need and save big bucks. If you are in a financial bind, I will give you the help you need for as little as $25 per week with home and office visits and phone support. Unlike buying formula, you will be done paying in a few weeks and more than likely happily breastfeeding.
To make an appointment or ask a question: call me at (845) 750-4402
Or you can send me an email and I will get back to you within 24 hours.